Established in 1914, the Portland Golf Club is a prestigious private golf club in the Garden Home area. You can read more about the club’s history on the their website.
From the Portland Golf Club’s description of the 15th hole (Firlock Station):
Players will stand on the tee in fear of the large fir approximately 140 yards off the tee with OB to the left. Two good shots are required to set up a short shot into a green which is only 11 yards deep in some areas. A railroad originally bordered this hole. An entire engine and half the car turned over opposite the green in the mid forties. In later years it was a bridle path for The Nicol Academy and Hunt Club (Meyer Estate). Firlock Hole… this was the site of Firlock Station on the old Oregon Electric- the only way to get to the Portland Golf Club prior to 1916.
There are also several stories on GardenHomeHistory.com that discuss the Portland Golf Club.
March 14, 2014 Oregonian article about the history of Portland Golf Club[source: PDF of the entire issue of the March 12, 2014 Oregonian (warning: 67 MB)]
Historic aerial photos of the Portland Golf Club
We highly recommend reading our wonderful story Portland Golf Club by Joanne DeHaan to learn about the early greens-keepers (1920s to 1950s) and their recollections of the development of the back nine, altering the course of Fanno Creek, improvements to the front nine, and a collection of vintage photos.