The Arranmore development of family homes is entered off of Oleson Road just south of Vermont and the Montclair Grade School at the west end of the Vermont.
The following is an excerpt from an excellent history of the development on the Arranmore home owner’s website.
The Arranmore home sites were developed in three phases. The idea was conceived by W.C. Bauman, who on april 7th, 1958, purchased the majority of Arranmore acreage from Peter A. and Rosalie Gertsch (husband and wife). Later, additional acreage was purchased from the Aaron M. Frank estate. Interestingly though, the Frank property had originally been part of the Gertsch land. Christian and Katie Gertsch (husband and wife) along with Peter and Rosalie Gertsch sold Aaron Frank a small section on July 6th, 1945. Thirteen years later the Gertsch property was back together as Arranmore.
For more information about the history of the Arranmore property, see the following stories on the Garden Home History website:
Shirley Gertsch Bartels on Peter and Pete Gertsch
Schools in Garden Home Area (see entry on Montclair Elementary)
Aaron Frank Farm
Aaron Frank home article in Sunset Magazine, 1929
Below is a gallery of photos from our collection relevant to the Arranmore area.
Gertsch home in what is now Arranmore. Courtesy Shirley Gertsch Bartels. See post.
Shattuck Dairy barn off Oleson Rd in today’s Arranmore development
Shattuck hay wagon, 2 little girls, 3 men
Shattuck Dairy wagon
Shattuck Dairy feedlot, barn
Shattuck Dairy – two men in wagon
Shattuck Dairy – two cows w bells
Shattuck Dairy – narrow freight wagon, 4 horses
Shattuck Dairy – haying, 2 men above hay mow
Shattuck Dairy – Hay wagon men
Shattuck Dairy – hay derrick in field
Shattuck Dairy – hanging from windmill, used to pump water
Shattuck Dairy – girl, 3 men shop door open
Shattuck Dairy – cows, 4 men, 2 boys, tall tree
Shattuck Dairy – barn with two men in hay mow, wagon, horses
Shattuck Dairy – barn to left
Shattuck dairy – 30 cows, tall stump
Shattuck Dairy – 10 men, 25 cows, stump farm in back
Shattuck Dairy – barnyard,milk wagons, log road
Von Bergen farm house showing the tall skinny picket fence. Courtesy Richard Roth and Madeline Benner. See post.
View of Aaron Frank home
Frank track, stable and indoor riding arena
Frank stable building
Rolling land around Frank track
Frank caretaker’s house
Mrs. Ruth Frank driving a carriage pulled by Aloma
Frank Farm carpeted horse stables
Snow scene at Frank Farm railroad siding
Frank Farm covered horse arena grandstand and barn.
1954 Garden Home Rd and 71st from S Garden Home Rd. is horizontal street, find church and Arndt home in middle. Forested area in Frank farm, Hunt Club development, Canby, Hickman Lane area.
This entry was posted in Homes
and tagged Arranmore
. Bookmark the permalink