Mathew Patton (Nov 15, 1805 to Sep 17, 1892) was the father of John Patton (Mar 27, 1821 to Dec 23, 1864) and grandfather of Polly Philena Patton Oleson (Jan 19, 1856 to Oct 11, 1934), wife of the “original” Ole Oleson of Garden Home.
Karl Klooster wrote an account of Mathew in the This Week magazine published on Aug. 1, 1990 under his byline of Round the Roses and published here with his permission. See attached article below. Mathew brought a flock of sheep when he came West in 1847. He soon came out of the gold fields of California with $10,000 which provided funds for extensive property purchase in the Portland area.
In a tract he bought in Oswego he mined the first iron ore. He purchased a half-section in the town of Albina and platted Patton’s Addition in 1885. He lived on what was then called Patton Avenue which later was changed to Interstate when it became a major north-south road to the new bridge over the Columbia in 1917.
In 1888 he gave the land to create a home “for the aged, friendless and others” with the cost of the building and furnishing to be provided by the community fund-raisers. On June 15, 1890 the cornerstone for a six bedroom home was laid. Subsequent additions to the home enlarged it and the residents were initially referred to as “inmates.”
It is now located at 4619 N. Michigan St. Portland, OR. This home is now visible on the east side of the freeway going north on I-5 from downtown Portland. The Patton Home has served the Albina neighborhood of north Portland for over 100 years. The Patton Home originally served as a retirement home, offering shelter and care for those in need.
The University of Oregon Digital Archives shows the new rear wing being added in 1909 and the name of the building as “Patton Home for the Aged and Friendless.” The architect was Richard H. Martin, Jr. It is now operated as a Residential Care Facility for 63 low income residents by the Ecumenical Ministries of Oregon. It provides services to the low-income, elderly and disabled for a drug and alcohol-free residence.
Going north on Scholls Ferry Road, north of the Raleigh Hills intersection, Patton Road is also named for this family. Patton Road leads over the hill to the residences in the West Hills of Portland.
Mathew and his wife Mary “Polly” Grimes Patton (9-23-1810 to 1-7-1868) are buried at the Patton Cemetery above the parking lot at Portland Golf Club on Scholls Ferry Road.
Oleson family album courtesy of Robin Robinson, Dec 2011.
Research and photos by Elaine Shreve, Jan 2012.
Karl Klooster Round the Roses article of Aug. 1, 1990, This Week magazine, reprinted with his telephone permisssion of Jan 22, 2012.